The Disciplined Disciple Compiler (DDC)
DDC is a research compiler used to investigate program transformation in the presence of computational effects. It compiles a family of strict functional core languages and supports region, effect and closure typing. This extra information provides a handle on the operational behaviour of code that isn't available in other languages. Programs can be written in either a pure/functional or effectful/imperative style, and one of our goals is to provide both styles coherently in the same language.
State of Play
DDC is at a stage where it will compile first order programs to executables, and parse and type-check higher order programs. Back-end support for higher functions isn't finished, and we don't have a garbage collector yet. See the Release Notes for a summary of what works.
- First order list functions that compile and run.
- Higher order list functions and the effect system.
- Mutable references, region extension and type-safe freezing.
Main changes to the repository over the last month or so:
- 9/3/2014: Many bug fixes and cleanups for the 0.4.1 release.
The current release is DDC 0.4.1 (March 2014). Release Notes.
DDC consists of the following packages. To get them all just install ddc-tools, and the others will be installed as dependencies.
- ddc-tools Command line tools. This is the user interface for the other packages.
- ddc-source-tetra Parser and desugarer for front end Disciple Tetra language.
- ddc-core-tetra Core language fragment using computation types instead of latent effects.
- ddc-core-eval Provides a single step evaluator (interpreter). It is a direct implementation of the operational semantics.
- ddc-core-salt Intermediate representation for C like languages, and C code generator.
- ddc-core-llvm LLVM code generator.
- ddc-core-simpl Implements simplifying code transformations and analyses.
- ddc-core Defines the abstract syntax, type checker, and substitution operators.
- ddc-interface User interface library.
- ddc-build Build framework.
- ddc-driver Top-level compiler driver.
- ddc-base Re-exports the main external dependencies of the Disciplined Disciple Compiler project.
GitHub page: https://github.com/DDCSF/ddc
- Development Builds
- Coding Conventions
- Build Bots and Servers
- Haddock Code Documentation
- Memory and CPU Usage Profiling
- Debugging Help
- Making Patches
- Release Process
How to get help
- Ask questions on disciple-cafe at Google Groups.
- Commit messages go to disciple-log at Google Groups.
- Ask in the #disciplined channel on the freenode IRC network.
How you can help
- Download the compiler, do the tutorial, write programs.
- File bug reports, fix tickets on the trac.
- Complain if you can't work something out.
- Mechanized soundness for a type and effect system with region deallocation, Lippmeier, In Submission.
- Rewrite Rules for the Disciplined Disciple Compiler, Robinson, UNSW 2012
- Type Based Aliasing Control for the Disciplined Disciple Compiler, slides, Ma, UNSW 2012
- Type Inference and Optimisation for an Impure World, Lippmeier, ANU 2010
- Witnessing Purity, Constancy and Mutability, slides, Lippmeier, APLAS 2009